Movement is life
Believe us when we tell you that it is possible to go from being a couch potato to a fit runner in 6 weeks! If our team was able to do it then so can you.
Here is some advice by physiotherapist and accomplished runner Samuele Fenu:
There are 3 important rules to remember:
- Train gradually,
- Train regularly,
- Take note (and pride) in your progression.
The only piece of equipment that you need to start with are good running shoes.
For a total beginner start by walking gradually at least 30’/40′ at least 3 times a week.
After the first week, if you feel good (not tired after walking) you can start to run a bit.
1′ easy run 2′ walking x 10 times (total 30′)
2′ easy run 2′ walking x 7 times (total 30′)
3′ easy run 1’30” walking x 10 times (total 40′)
4′ easy run 2′ walk x 7 times (total 42′)
5′ easy run 1′ walk x 7 times (total 42′)
30/40′ easy run
Week 7 and more
40/45′ easy run
- Always warm up and cool down for 2 to 3 mins. We have some great videos on the living in Luzern website.
- Prefer soft ground
- You should always be able to talk whilst running. If you can’t it, try varying your speed until you can do so).
- Remember to drink plenty of water: 2.5 litres of water per day.
- Smile, getting fit should be a fun experience.
If you need an incentive then find a buddy to run with and work towards a goal. There’s the Lucerne Marathon on October 29. How about challenging yourself to doing the 10 km run?
Samuele Fenu is an accredited physiotherapist. You can book a massage with him at firstname.lastname@example.org